Saturday, July 21, 2018

Karika 66

दृष्टा मयेत्युपेक्षक एको दृष्टाऽहमित्युपरमत्यन्या।
सति संयोगेऽपि तयोः प्रयोजनं नास्ति सर्गस्य॥ ६६॥

Translation by Henry Thomas Colebrooke (1837): He desists, because he has seen her; she does so, because she has been seen. In their (mere) union there is no motive for creation.
Translation by John Davies (1881): 'It has been seen by me', says the one, ceasing to regard; 'I have been seen', says the other, and ceases to act. In the (mere) conjunction of the two there is no motive for production.
Translation by Ganganath Jha (1896): "She has been seen by me", says the one and so retires; "I have been seen", says the other, and ceases to act. Hence though there is still their conjunction, it affords no motive towards further creation.
Translation by Nandalal Sinha (1915): "She has been seen by me", - so the one stands indifferent; "I have been seen", - so the other desists. Though their conjunction still remains, there does not exist any motive for creation.
Translation by Har Dutt Sharma (1933): One (the Spirit) is indifferent like a spectator in play; one (the Nature) desists, (saying) that I have been seen. (Now), in spite of their contact, there is no motive for creation.
Translation by Radhanath Phukan (1960): One (the witness) says, "I have seen her" (I understand what she is), and so understanding, becomes indifferent; the other saying "I have been seen", desists (from further prompting); thus although there is still conjunction between the two, there is no need for further creation (i.e., rebirth).
Translation by Swami Virupakshananda (1995): The one (Puruṣa) thinks: 'she has been seen by me' and therefore, loses all interest; the other (Prakṛti) thinks 'I have been seen' and ceases to act further. Therefore, even if there is still connection there is no motive for further evolution.
Translation by G. Srinivasan (recent): Observing the neutral state of one gives the proof that the observable movement of the other has ceased and even though both are together no interactive manifestation exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment